I’m baaaaaack! I can’t say I’m too pleased about this though. Ten leisurely days of sunbathing, beach runs, afternoon naps and swimming can do that to you. Today I’m bringing you one of my favourite desserts…’nice’ cream. That’s ice cream made entirely out of bananas. I promise it’s even better than it sounds! But before we get to that, my holiday taught me several important lessons, and I thought I would share them with you (to spare you from making the same foolish mistakes.)
Life lessons from Megan/ how to survive camping at the beach:
- Swimming- you are not a dolphin, mermaid or other aquatic beauty, don’t kid yourself. Stop checking out the lifeguards and watch the waves! And if you are dumped by one. Dismount gracefully, rather than scrambling on your knees surrounded by tots, emerging covered in sand with your hair plastered to your face.
- Sunbathing- turn frequently to avoid the ‘undercooked prawn’ look. Don’t park your towel near the dune flowers or you may face a bee swarm (doesn’t make for a peaceful time, trust me.)
- Running by the sea- watch out for seagulls, they are evil scheming pests… RUN baby, RUN! And if you are going to run on the beach, stay on the hard sand and don’t pretend to be a Baywatch babe.It will only end in tears (and probably plaster cast.)
The recipe I’ve got for you this week is pretty quick and easy. No muss, no fuss. If you are a seasoned foodie then you will know all about bananas and their never-ending uses. Banana ice cream will probably be old news to you, so just chill out and roll with the rest of us. If you have never tried making ‘nice cream’ before then you are in for a pleasant (delicious) surprise. I’ve got three recipes for you to try out. 1) Plain Jane. 2) Sensational strawberry. 3) Cheeky cherry.
Therefore, I’m making the superstar of the week: cherries. Cherries are in season at the moment (where I am anyway…suckers,) and they are finally cheap enough that you don’t have to sell a kidney in order to get a taste. You Americans cannot complain however, as basically everything comes in cherry flavour for you (someone please explain cherry coke to me.) Cherries are drupes (excellent word for stone fruit) which are sweet and slightly tart. They are full of fibre and complement chocolate incredibly well.
To start off you need to chop up bananas into coins and freeze them. After a couple of hours you should be good to go. Next you pop your banana coins into a blender, add any extras and blend it up. Serve however you desire, but eat immediately or it will melt to sticky slush.
Cheeky Cherry flavour:
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup cherries, pitted and frozen
- 3 Tbsps milk
Sensational Strawberry flavour:
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- 3 Tbsps milk
And there you have it! Told you it was simple.
Other variations you could try are: adding 1 Tbsp peanut butter, choc chunks, raisins, cocoa, mint extract, the options are enless…go wild!
Please comment and let me know what you thought. Feel free to share any fab flavour combos you come up with, I’d love to hear ‘em.
So I hope you have a stupendous week. I dare you to make some nana ice cream, go for a beach run or dip in the sea.
I mean what have you got to worry about?…You couldn’t possibly be worse than me!