Can we pause for a moment and give a hearty “HOORAY!”…because this week I had my last exam, and I have now officially finished school! I can’t express how excited I am. To celebrate I decided this week to give a wee countdown. We are counting down….(drum roll please)…the Top 35 best snacks! (yes I know it’s in the title, thank – you!) Since we are heading into holiday season, I want to give you a list of filling, nourishing and tasty snacks so you can keep your sticky fingers out of the cookie jar!
But first, you need the rundown of my week. So I’ll skip the boring exam rubbish because it was physics and who even cares right? Right. Anyway…on Wednesday my group of friends got together and set out on a little road trip to find this waterfall we had seen everyone bragging about. We arrived at the spot and started walking (hobbling) along this gravelly, deserted path (I made the mistake of wearing cute ballet flats not hiking boots. Silly me.) We thought we were on the right path because we stopped and could see the enormous waterfall cascading before us, but then we came to a terrifying looking door. It was the more frightening than the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! (sorry for bringing him up, eeeeeek!) None of us were brave enough to explore what lay on the other side, so we fearless knights of Spamelot heroically turned our backs on that haunted door. We thought we might take another route down, and I bravely volunteered to go first (totally didn’t push in front.) I then tried to gracefully wiggle myself down the slippery mud bank. Yeah, no, that wasn’t happening! I ended up dangling off the edge, gripping to Miriam for dear life as the bank gave way beneath me.
After my near-death experience we decided to give up on the waterfall and head off somewhere else. One of us managed to drill holes in the ground trying to get our car up the bank. We ended up at a beautiful waterhole where we ate our melted and shaken picnic. And lastly I had my first YOLO moment (appreciate the applause.) I valiantly swam in my clothes because I had no togs (we won’t mention how long it took for me to finally take the plunge… my friends turned grey waiting.)
And that my friends, was my marvelous week! So shall we start counting down? (sorry I don’t have a little window with a chocolate behind for you to open.)
35. Veggies and hummus– My favourite is raw broccoli (don’t knock it till you try it!)
34. Apple and peanut butter.
33. Chia pudding.
32. Banana bites- Slice banana and then sandwich with peanut butter and cacao nibs:
31. Greek yoghurt and berries.
29.Smoothies- SPOILER ALERT! Watch this space!!! (But for now… 1/2c milk, 1/2 c yoghurt, handful spinach, 1 banana, 1 Tbsp almond butter)
28. Dates filled with yoghurt and topped with pumpkin seeds:
27. Hard boiled eggs (if you leave the yolk a little runny then you can dip (asparagus?) soldiers in like when you were a kid!)
26. The mighty movie favourite…Popcorn (please don’t slather it in butter…I asked nicely!)
25. Avocado on crackers. (Avocado on anything, am I right?)
24. Peanut butter mousse – Made by mixing 1 Tbsp peanut butter with 3 Tbsp yoghurt and sweetner (tastes fab with fruit):
23.Cottage cheese and fruit.
22. Kale chips- Put kale on a tray, drizzle over oil, season (that means salt and pepper FYI (that means: for your information).) Then bake for 10-15 mins at 180, turning them a bit.
21. Fruit yoghurt buttons- Easy as…yoghurt in ziplock bag, cut corner, squeeze out blobs, freeze…DEVOUR!
20.Trail mix – (Or scroggin as you mumsy types may call it.)
19.Hummus with pita crackers – Pita crackers are made by baking in the oven at 160 for 6 mins(ish) or toasting (if you are too lazy.)
18. Cucumber crudites- Slice cucumber, top with tomato and feta:
17. Celery and peanut butter. (Who remembers ants on logs? Don’t be shy…drop a few raisins on top.)
16. Roast chickpeas.
15. Cheese and crackers.
14. “Nice cream” – Blend 1 frozen banana. (Remember our chia topping?)
13. Mini pancakes- Mash 1/2 banana, 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed, 1 Tbsp ground oats, 1/2 scoop protein powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, then slowly add in water (about 1/2 cup.):
12.Tasty nuts- Roast 3 cups of mixed nuts/seeds with 1 Tbsp soy sauce and 2 tsps honey at 180 for 10 mins/til brown.
10. Frozen grapes.
8. Fruit parfait- Layer greek yoghurt, granola and fruit:
7. Sweet potato bites- Slice potato into rings, 0.5cm thick. Fry in a pan with some oil, then flip. (Perfect for dipping in…)
6. Guacamole- 1/2 an avo, 1/4 cup yoghurt, salt + pepper (add in extras like 1/2 tomato, 1 garlic clove or 1/4 tsp cumin…if you are adventurous!)
4. Mug cake- Mix 1.5 Tbsp ground oats, 1 Tbsp flour, 1 egg white, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 Tbsp cocoa, 1 tsp peanut butter, 3 Tbsp milk, dash vanilla. Cook in the microwave for 1 min. I topped mine with homemade chocolate almond butter:
3. Dried fruit eg. Banana chips
2. Dry cereal- highly recommend Special K.
1. The one and only…Bliss balls! (I mean, did you really expect anything else?)
Now I know you are all waiting with baited breath to find out who this week’s superstar is…(drum roll again thanks…) B for banana…B-A-N-A-N-A-N-A!
I thought seeing as though bananas feature in almost everything I make it’s about time we showed them some lurve. Bananas (am I the only one who always puts too many nas’?) are actually berries (FACT), they are grown in at least 107 countries and both the skin and inner part can be eaten (but only if you are a monkey.) Bananas are brimming over with goodness such as vitamin B, fiber and potassium. Therefore you have my permission to slice em’, dice em’ and mush em’ into whatever takes your fancy.
So hopefully you feel inspired to go swimming (in your clothes), make some bliss balls (or other equally delicious snack) and be unashamedly adventurous (i.e. make a green smoothie.)
I hope you all have a lovely week. No matter where you are or what you are doing remember to pause and take in the beauty that surrounds you.
See ya soon!