It is my last day of holidays today (sigh) and so i thought pancakes for breakfast would be fitting. However, these aren’t any ordinary pancakes, no sirree, these are healthy pancakes. WAIT! Before you roll your eyes and close the tab, hear me out. These pancakes are beautifully light and absolutely delicious!
They may be gluten, dairy and refined sugar free, but they taste like Friday night feels, and whats more are even… dare i say it…good for you.
So if you are still with me, give these babies a try. I can assure you, you won’t be disappointed!
Here’s the recipe:
Pancakes for one lonely (lucky) person:
- 1/4 cup flour (I use buckwheat)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp maca (not a cartoon character…this is a superfood powder, but it is optional)
- 1 chia egg (or regular egg if that’s okay)
- (Almost) 1 banana, mashed (i.e. use mash 3/4 and save the rest)
- 1 Tbsp sweetner (like honey)
- splash of milk (almond for you non-dairy nuts (Can I please get some appreciation for that double pun…I am extremely proud of that!))
Start off by making your chia egg. You do this by combining 1 Tbsp of chia seeds with boiling water (till they are covered), then popping this in the fridge to thicken while you get on with the rest…
Mix up all of your ingredients
I give you permission to gobble these up without sharing! And that my friends is the joy of being single. (Although I almost caved when a little snout came to check it out.)
That’s all from me, i think you should go make some pancakes…life is too short to suffer through another bowl of soggy cereal.
Mixed Berry chia topping:
- 1/3 cup mixed berries
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- sweetner, to taste
Put everything in a saucepan and heat until it thickens to texture of runny jam. This is delicious on yoghurt or toast too!